WESTPORT- On Thursday, May 9, 2019, United Way of Greater Fall River celebrated another year of giving, advocacy, and volunteering at the Annual Awards Dinner at White’s of Westport. This year, the program also highlighted the career of Robert L. Horne who retired on March 31, 2019 after nearly 25 years as executive director of United Way of Greater Fall River.
The following individuals and organizations were recognized for their service to Greater Fall River.
- Inspiration Award- Barbara Tripp from Baycoast Bank. Through Barbara Tripp’s leadership, Baycoast Bank’s giving was up 14% this year from last year and they are consistently the top employee giving campaign. Baycoast Bank employees are also among our top volunteers.
- Spirit of the United Way Award– SSTAR. Their creativity with their campaign surprises us each year. This year’s campaign involved employee-created baskets.
- Live United Award– Inez Leite and Alison Bouchard, City of Fall River. Under the guidance of Inez and Alison, the employee giving for the City of Fall River increased $3,000. They also help immensely with our volunteer efforts on Day of Caring.
- Unsung Hero Awards. Dan DaCosta and Edward Blancharde. Dan DaCosta of Baycoast Bank quietly supports our office staff with all of our IT needs, often at a moment’s notice. Edward Blancharde of the American Red Cross jumps into action at times of crisis, supporting our local community when we most need it.
- Community Impact Award- Fall River Deaconess Home. The employees of the Deaconess Home consistently give back to UWGFR. This year, the girls at Deaconess were passionate donors to the Four Winds Fire Relief efforts.
The event concluded with speeches and videos honoring Bob Horne upon his retirement. Fall River Community Media helped produce a “thank you” video for Bob’s retirment and Bob himself shared a video about his life and legacy at UWGFR. To view both videos, subscribe to our YouTube feed.